"Prelude: After Colony 193" Chapter 2 - Ashen Skies Written by: Drydian email: drydian@yahoo.com website: FallenClan.com "Shoot that plane out of our skies!" An ambitious Lieutenant gives the orders to destroy a single mobile suit transport approaching from the Atlantic Ocean. "But sir, they have supplied the appropriate codes, they are an ally." As routine, warning shots blaze past the transport and a standard warning is sent to the incoming plane. This has become fairly frequent over the past week as medical relief transports have been sent from nearby countries to aid the citizens of England. All met the same warning, but it took only one to be shot down for dispair for the people of England to spread across the world. "Did you not hear me? I said take that plane down!" "We have no allies outside of England, it must be a trick by the Alliance." The Quinton military airfield, now converted to the western front base of the Legion, locks its turrets on the derelect. A vid screen opens and displays the pilot of the transport, Zex Marquise, in front of the Lieutenant. "I suggest you stop firing, unless General Nathtok has decided to end the truce with Oz so quickly?" Calmly and cooly Zex looks on, never slowing the plane down. With worry and anger in his face, Lieutenant Kairn tries to discern the visitors demeanor. "No emotions, no trace of contempt or hatred, nothing!" Kairn tells himself. "Even if he didn't wear that mask upon his face, he would still probably display the same composure." As a member of Oz, respected for his great skills, Zex Marquise is a great soldier with a growing reputation. Though his diplomatic skills have not been put to the test as of yet, his mastery of the Leo mobile suit has on several campaigns already proved to give Zex an advantage. "We can not afford to anger Oz at this time, give him permission to land." Submission to his orders is evident as Kairn grasps the back of his chair with white knuckles. "Have him secured as soon as he lands and have him escorted to General Nathtok immediately." As the transport slowly descends in altitude, the scene of England is horrifically displayed before Zex Marquise. Most of the building have been blackened by weapons fire. Glass litters the streets. People scavenge through the wastes to find mere sustenance. The bodies of those who fell on the first day of the rebellion still lie amidst the rubble. Worst of all is the ash in the sky that blocks off much of the light from the sun, leaving England in almost perpetual night. The continuous fires that flare up across the nation from broken gas lines and fuel supplies darken the skies. The visibility is fairly poor, thicker than the smog that lingers over mobile suit factories. Upon landing, Zex Marquise is escorted in a military truck to Winchester, England. It was early evening when they reached the base. "Zex Marquise, it is a great honor to have such a distinguished soldier visit me at my, no, our greatest moment." "Finally, we have our own land and we will rule it as we please." General Nathtok proudly boasts while staring at the now ashen and scarred countryside. Zex glances out the window and sees the misery in the people. Hospitals are overfilled and many are sent away by patrols. Food lines are long and shelters are burdened with disease. "Your land is dying and it will not survive without supplies." "Allow the Alliance to send aid and you will show the world and your people that you are a humane leader." General Nathtok considers his words for a moment and finds wisdom in them. He realizes how delicate his position is and how desperate his people need supplies. However, Nathtok desired to make his declaration to the world that he was in power and would decide how he rules his country. "You are correct, our supplies are diminishing and support is required." "I shall give leave for only International aid and no more on the 'morrow." "Are you to stay as the Alliance's ambassador, or as OZ's?" Peering into Zex's eyes to determine where he and Oz stands at this moment. Nathtok is using this opportunity to put Zex in the spotlight of the world. He plans to either use him as a scapegoat if trouble occurs with the Alliance, or to create a strong ally, whichever is most beneficial and convinient. "I have been sent as a good will ambassador, and I shall stay to insure the safety of those to follow." Two days later International Relief swarmed to England's aid. Over two hundred transports arrived and worked throughout the day. Most of the medical volunteers stayed and built makeshift hospitals and additional food lines. Search parties were also sent to try and find survivors amongst the wreakage. Others have the grave duty to collect the dead. The transports left early that afternoon returning to their home bases to collect more supplies. Upon returning, volunteers rushed the transports with more supplies and personnel. However, instead they found soldiers rushing out firing machine guns. Four Leo's exited out the back of the planes. The Leo's strategically destroy communication towers and radars. Immediately they turn their targets on the command centers and prepare to fire. The soldiers disarm the International Relief personel and have them huddled into a small area. The rest of the soldiers rush the barracks and the command center losing very few soldiers as they take control. Unprepared, each of the seventy eight bases are secured under the control of Nathtoks men. "Treize, General Nathtok has double-crossed us." Zex remarks about the events that occured this day. "He allows International Relief to continue their work, but has cut off communications." "I have been imprisoned in the suite of Nathoks mansion." "Since his plans have now unfolded and this line is tapped he does not fear my speaking with you." "I will continue here as planned and raise this nation from the ashes." "Farewell my friend, I will speak to you again when the ashes settle." Treize turns off the intercom and beckons Lady Une to approach. "Now that General Nathtok has committed his forces and has spread his front lines thin, we can now act." "Nathtok has done us a great service Lady Une, did you know that?" Puzzled, Lady Une looks on. "How so?" "Nathtok has destroyed much of the Alliances reserve forces." "The majority of the Alliance forces now stand on the front lines holding off Nathtok from advancing any farther." "This leaves the the Alliance to rely upon the Special Forces, OZ, to end Nathtok's reign." "OZ will use this opportunity to reinforce Alliance bases with our own troops, especially the mobile suit factories, to make sure this doesn't happen again." "I would have allowed this to continue, but Nathtoks morals are shall we say, lacking, and must be stopped." "It's ironic how General Nathtok's own power will be his own undoing."